Moore War: Too Much Spirit? Or Too Much Skin?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Westmoore students show their school spirit at the front of the student section. Wearing school colors, they shout their hearts out at the biggest sports game of the year, Moore War, the game between sports rivals Moore and Westmoore High School.

Kenny Kim

Kenny Kim

Kenny Kim

Kenny Kim, Editor

MOORE – Friday, August 31th was the evening of the anticipated Moore War game at Moore Stadium between Moore and Westmoore High School. It was no surprise that Westmoore won. However, what appeared surprising to many adults was the clothing worn by students that night. Many adults thought the clothing was inappropriate for a school function.

This is not a new occurrence though. Younger people in general have been wearing this new risque style of shorter length clothes that happen to reveal more skin. Nonetheless, a lot of kids claim their intent at Moore War was to show school spirit for their team, not attract attention for their clothes.

“It seemed fun. I didn’t go to get guys,” freshman Ayomide O. said, “I went to show school spirit.”

This brought up the question of whether if it even is the responsibility of students, particularly girls, to make sure that their clothing does not “distract” other kids. Generally, students believe boys should simply just respect their female classmates. They hope everyone, male or female, feel confident in whatever they wear.

“They should wear what they want to,” sophomore Lili N. said, “but as long as it’s not too much skin then that’s not right. Just a little bit is okay.”

Moore Public Schools does have a dress code that is to still be in place at school events, such as Moore War. While it is criticized by students, school officials say it is there to ensure a secure learning environment where the focus is on the material, not other students and their attire. 

“There are some things that probably need to be tinkered,” freshmen Principal Braggs said, “As far as the clothing is concerned, we may need to take a breath and think what’s really in that handbook and what it’s really meaning. “

Students, regardless, should wear what they feel comfortable in, but they should also remember to be respectful to other kids and be mindful of the school dress code. In the end, although some students in the crowd were wearing inappropriate clothing at Moore War, it was the boys on the field who truly felt Jaguar pride in the uniform they wore.