Color Guard on the Move

Back to Article
Back to Article

Color Guard on the Move

Chrissy Phillips, staff

“Color Guard is basically tossing objects, dancing to certain songs, and doing certain tricks.” sophomore Cassie B. said. Color Guard is an activity with military origins, for which flags, mock rifles, and dance movement are used to interpret music from a marching band. Westmoore Color Guard is part of marching band.

“First there is a try out for rifle and if you don’t make it, you use the flags. Flags are basically the default. The weapon line is even harder,” sophomore Jayden S. said. 

During Color Guard, some people use flags while others use rifles. Back when color guards were still a major part of the military, the rifles were used to protect the flag (colors) from other peoples attack.

The flags would be used to make signals to commanders to see troop position.

The color guard squad competes against other high schools around Oklahoma. During contests halftime routines are performed. The next contest is September 29th at Yukon High School. Last year’s toughest contest was the Oklahoma Bandmasters Association Contest. 

“We had to have our costumes on all day during the OBA contest,” Jayden S. said. 

Every year there are different uniforms. This years uniform is a rainbow and black sleeveless bodysuit. including body and face paint on with feathers in their hair.

The color guard team is much a family. Spending basically every morning together starting at 6:30 a.m. and practices Tuesdays and Thursdays after school sometimes until 9:00 p.m..

“We are a good and close family, but every family has difficulties. We work through our difficulties and we are all there for each other,” Cassie B. said. 

“I busted my knee in ninth grade and one of my friends lost her tooth,” Cassie B. said. Color Guard is hard work and many people don’t understand why they would join color guard when they have a high chance of getting injured.

“They expect a lot but it’s fulfilling when you work so hard and then you actually do it right,” Sophomore Donivon S. said. Even with the pressure from their coaches or parents, the students think it’s worth it and strive for their best.