JagWire

Flooding Floors

Mary-Grace McNutt, staff

Flooded floor has brought the Jag Arena activity to a halt except for the repairs underway. Late August, volleyball coach Coach Pence arrived for a Sunday afternoon practice, she noticed water in the arena foyer. One report is a toilet had overflowed over the weekend and caused the flood waters to seep into the arena.  The second report is the floors flooded from the recent rain due to a ceiling leak. The volleyball players began to notice the gym wooden floor was starting to “bubble”. The information was reported to Athletic Director John Burruss and appropriate action was taken. Repairs began the week of September 3rd and are estimated to be completed by the beginning of basketball season.  Repairs called for removal of the damaged areas and installation of new matching flooring. The gym remains closed until further notice. 

The Jag Arena’s closure has displaced the girl’s volleyball team for practices and home games. They have relocated to the old small gym and shortened practices. Because the small gym has no air conditioning there have been some adjustments. ‘’It’s awful,’’ sophomore Kambey H. said. ‘’The gym is so hot which forces us to wear short sleeve jerseys on game days. Plus, the floor does not have as good grip and is slippery because its older.”

The girls basketball team is affected because there is one less gym available for practices. Practice have been moved to mornings. ‘’We are having morning practices because we are short a gym,’’ said sophomore Brittany R.

The freshmen boys basketball team practices have shifted to 5:00 p.m. because of practice gym availability.