Two Dollar Ticket Sales and Solution

Back to Article
Back to Article

Two Dollar Ticket Sales and Solution

Victoria Gallegos, Staff

A two dollar solution helped contribute to a worthy cause while solving the school’s overcrowding issue.  Westmoore has the largest student population in the district with more than 2,600 students and the Jag Arena only holds 2,157 students. Solution sell tickets to the Moore War pep assembly August 31, and donate the proceeds to Janneh B.’s fund to purchase a wheelchair accessible van. Westmoore student, Janneh is in need for a van with a wheelchair lift. Student Council (STUCO) sold tickets Monday, August 27 through Friday, August 31 for $2.00 to the pep assembly. The upperclassmen were were given the first chance to buy tickets on Monday and all classes could buy tickets starting Tuesday. Tickets were sold before school, during lunches and in Mr. Helton’s classroom with almost $3,100 worth being sold. “In addition to a crowd size issue, we wanted to raise as much money as possible for this cause,’’ STUCO sponsor Mr. Helton said. Ticket sells were a success and will be sold for future pep assemblies.

Janneh was paralyzed from a tragic accident. Just one week before his 13th birthday in June 2015, Janneh was riding his bike outside his dad’s snow cone stand. A bullet fired from a passing car hit Janneh in the neck crushing his third vertebrae. Although the bullet was never intended for Janneh, he is now paralyzed from the neck down and has a motorized wheelchair.” – servemore.com.

“Don’t let an injury define you,” Janneh said. “Just because I got shot doesn’t make me any less of who I was before.” His family currently does not have a wheelchair equipped transportation. Westmoore is contributing all pep assembly ticket sales to Janneh’s van fund. “We are collecting this money as a part of  a year-long effort to help the family of one of our students, a van so that he has wheelchair transportation,” Mr. Helton said. Fowler Ford, a local car dealership has partnered to raise the funds as an ongoing effort. Janneh has to hire a ride for all current transportation outside of school transportation.

“A security team was created to make sure people without pep assembly tickets did not enter,” said Mr. Helton. During the assembly the security team was outside the main arena entrance. The security team were Westmoore baseball players: Chance W., Cameron A., Nikale D. and Jack H.. They joined in the effort by wearing black t-shirts with security in large white letters.