JagWire

Asian Culture Lights Up 20th Moon Festival

ASIAN DISTRICT – Military Park, in the heart of the Asian District of Oklahoma City, was lit solely with the glow of the fall moon and a 1,000 paper lanterns in the celebration of the 20th Annual Mid-Autumn Festival on September 29th. With a number of Southeastern Asian performances, lion dancers, and Vietnamese food, the festival was a sight of Asian culture.

Westmoore’s Asian American Society members volunteered at festival. They worked all night doing a range of jobs – food/game stands to handing out gift bags. Students even performed in the show and wore traditional clothing.

“It was hard,” freshman and musician Vivian said, “ I never performed in front of that many people before.”

The most anticipated part of the event was the lion/dragon dancers and the lantern trail. Children hold paper lanterns, each lit with a single flame, and follow the lions. The sight of hundreds of dimly illuminated lanterns following colorful lions was a beautiful sight and a memory most of the people would hold for the rest of their lives.

“It’s a sight to see,” freshman Nhu said, “you have to see it.”

Moon Festival or its Vietnamese name of Trung Thu, it is one of most celebrated holidays in Asia, second only to Tết (Lunar New Year). Asian history and culture can sometimes be dark and grim. However, the Mid-Autumn Festival presented nothing less than beauty and joy. The festival is set aside to be a time to pray, be with family, and give thanks for a good harvest. It was organized by the Vietnamese American Community of Oklahoma City and vicinity, the event  included the annual Little Miss Vietnam Pageant and Lantern Competition, a kid favorite.

Additional information: Vietnamese American Community Facebook

Video: OKNews Lunar Moon Festival Video