Swimmers Making a Comeback

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swimmers Making a Comeback

Last year swim team

Last year swim team

Last year swim team

Last year swim team

Brinley Decarlo, Staff

The Westmoore High School swim team is coming back bigger and better than ever. This year the swim team has a whopping 38 members, most of which are new to the program. Compared to last years number of members, this is an amazing turn around.

Since the pool at OCCC pool closed in 2015, the swim team has suffered greatly. The team lost their practice space, and with that, many of it’s members. The team now has very little scheduled practices at the YMCA, and they are only forty minutes long each. Along with the few scheduled practices, the swimmers have to practice on their own, or pay a monthly fee to swim for a club team. There on swimmers on multiple different club teams in the area. There are some on the Sooner Swim Club, American Energy, and King Marlin.

“It’s not an ideal situation, but we make it work,” sophomore Elise A. said. “I’m on a club team, so I get some extra practice time during the week, which seems to help in meets.”

With the help of parents and coaches, the team is proving that nothing can stop these outstanding swimmers. The booster club has held three events this year. The first event was at Fuzzy’s where a percent of the profit went to the team. The next was at Sonic; the swimmers car-hopped and collected tips for the team. Another event was at Alfredo’s where twenty percent of the profit went to the booster club.

“I loved helping at Sonic,” sophomore Madison H. said. “It was really fun getting to help out and raise money with my team.”

The team has their first meet at the University of Oklahoma aquatic center in Norman on November 1st. The meet beings at 7:00. Come out and support Jags swim.