Cross Country Dashes in the Cold

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cross Country Dashes in the Cold

Grace Duvall, Staff

On October 11th, in the freezing cold temperature, the Westmoore cross country team lined up for the Deer Creek meet.

Heating up their legs, both boys and girls, JV and varsity stood on the starting line doing their warm ups. They started their race out strong with JV girls up first.

“It was a terrible course but the weather was the only reason why I got my new PR, it was overall a great day,” sophomore Britney Z. said.

Next came the JV boys who came ready to endure the freezing weather.

“Running in the cold allowed me to not expend as much water as I would when it was hot, this let me keep my endurance up and my body ready for the race. It was a really fun race I had the best time of the season,” junior Jacob M. said.

The second half of the meet, varsity boys and girls ran. This group is preparing for regionals on October 20th that will lead them to the annual state cross country meet. First came the varsity girls team, running out together remaining a pack throughout the entire meet while pursuing a new personal record.

“The cold weather definitely helped my PR because it wasn’t as draining like the heat is. I enjoyed the meet because it was a new change in scenery and this new record will give me confidence that I am still improving and have room to improve at state,” senior Madison B. said.

After, the final race of the varsity boys began. They ended with record times and confidence that they will reach their goals by the end of the season.

“My confidence going into state and regionals is tough, but knowing that I’m running with some of my closest friends that I’ve ran with for a while is going to push me,” junior Johan J. said. 

As the season comes to an end, and the team remains working hard and pursuing their goals, they consistently stay positive and confident in an amazing season.