Fastpitch Wins State Championship

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fastpitch Wins State Championship

photo from Moore Monthly

photo from Moore Monthly

Rob Morris

photo from Moore Monthly

Rob Morris

Rob Morris

photo from Moore Monthly

Karsyn Scruggs, Staff

October 17th is a day that will go down in Westmoore fast pitch softball history. The team became state champions for the first time ever. Beating Owasso 5-3, Deer Creek 11-7, and in the championship game  Edmond North with a score of 8-4, the team brought home the state title.

Prior to the state games, the team became regional champions defeating Putnam City West and Southmoore. Having the regional title under their belts, the girls were certainly motivated for state.

“Winning regionals made me want to work harder. I didn’t want to settle because I knew we could win state if we kept our minds set on what we really wanted,” junior pitcher Olixa S. said.

Like any other sport, softball appreciates support from their classmates. Absences were excused for those students who went to watch the tournaments as long as they brought back tickets. Many students went to the tournaments to support the team and cheer for them. Although some students didn’t stay for the whole game, many still made an effort to go and support.

Just a week before the state championship, sophomore Emma S. started to feel sick. She ended up having severe appendicitis, leaving her in the hospital. While she was unable to attend the first games, Emma was able to support her team in their final two games.

“It was devastating not being able to play, but just making it to state and being there was an experience of a lifetime,” designated player Emma said. “This was such a strong season and one of our best yet. I’m so excited for my last two years with this team.”

The team only lost five games this season out of more than 25. From the injuries to the titles, it is safe to say this was a season the girls will never forget.