Music: How it Changed His Life

Music has changed senior Brock B.’s life, shaping him to be the person he is today.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Music: How it Changed His Life

Senior Brock B. sings a solo during a rehearsal, proud to be on stage.

Grace Seo

Grace Seo

Grace Seo

Grace Seo, Staff

“As the old hymn goes, ‘I sing because I am happy, I sing because I’m free; His eye is on the sparrow, I know He watches me.’ When music is involved, my favorite quote to live by is, ‘If music is the food of life, play on,’” senior Brock B. said.

The world is a place filled with different activities, talents, interests. One of the most widely liked interest/hobby is music. Music has given people a chance to speak for themselves and to proclaim their thoughts and opinions shaping society and politics. To some people, it may be a simple hobby they enjoy and to others, it can be a safe haven to escape into a different world for a little bit; to senior Brock, it’s been a key player in changing his life.

Brock is a part of the vocal music program at Westmoore. He’s been involved in and surrounded by music of all genres at school and his church. He has sung multiple times for pep assemblies, been chosen for All-State Choirs (OCDA, OMEA, and OCDA Jazz), and has received many solos during Westmoore concerts and other events. While at his church, he sings and directs the church choir and is an associate minister.

“I sing with the youth and young adult choir, and I, also, direct some of the songs in the sanctuary choir,” Brock said.

Though Brock is only in high school, his professionalism on stage is like one with many years of training and experience. When he sings in front of big crowds at assemblies and athletic games, he says he gets nervous. However, he displays great calmness throughout the performance because, “at the end of the day, it’s neither about me nor the people.”

Being surrounded by music almost all his life, ultimately receiving influence from his parents and his church he grew up in while listening to gospel music. Music has taught him to be open and be himself regardless of who thinks of him.  “I plan to study Music Education in college because I want to teach high school choirs and later teach in the collegiate levels,” Brock said.

He plans to attend Oklahoma Baptist University, majoring in Music Education with a minor in Ministry.