Winter Wishes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Wishes

Megan B. and Halle C., 10, with Winter Wishes donations.

Karsyn Scruggs, Staff

Winter Wishes brings the community to Westmoore. It connects Westmoore to its feeder schools by teaming them up to provide Christmas gifts for community students that need an extra hand at Christmas. The event will provide gifts for over 80 children this year. Student Council (STUCO) sponsors the event and coordinates the gift adoption for each child.

“I think Winter Wishes is important because it helps us give back and it allows younger kids to get some of the things they need,” parliamentarian Grace said.

First hour classes, clubs, and organizations are given the opportunity to “adopt” a child.

“I chose to adopt a student because I believe children need to know others care about them. I, also, think it’s a great lesson in compassion for my students.” Chemistry teacher and Multicultural Club sponsor Mrs. Simmons said.

“I think it’s a wonderful thing we do for our community. It’s important to help children in need, and I know our gifts put smiles on their faces,” sophomore Megan B. said.

Winter Wishes serves an important lesson for both, the students who donate and the students who receive the donations. It teaches the older kids to give back to their community and it shows the younger ones that there are good people out there that want to help them.

Gift donations are due on Thursday, December 13th and gifts will be picked up by feeder school representatives on December 14th.

Feeder schools:

Junior Highs – Brink and Moore West

Elementary – Earlywine, Fisher, Fairview, Kingsgate, Sky Ranch, and Eastlake