High School Actions Land in Congressional Hearing

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kaleigh Donaldson, Staff

Reputation can follow a person through life and Brett Kavanaugh as a Supreme Court Justice nominee came face to face with his high school reputation on a worldwide scale. The sayings being in the wrong place at the wrong time and guilty by association led to being accused of sexual assault. Christine Blasey Ford, a professor at Palo Alto University, recounted details from her alleged encounter with Kavanaugh when they were teenagers. She claimed he sexually assaulted her at a party during in the early 1980s.

He was known for a good reputation, but some supposed dark secrets surfaced until 30 years later. Ford came forward in during Kavanaugh’s Congressional nomination hearing and accused him of drunkenly pinning her down and sexually assaulting her. A second accuser Deborah Ramirez came forward a week after Ford’s claim. She alleged that Kavanaugh exposed himself to her at a party while they were freshmen at Yale University. Kavanaugh denied the claims calling them “a smear, plain and simple.” A third woman, Julie Swetnick followed by accusing him of sexually aggressive behavior while at alcohol-fueled parties in high school.

Kavanaugh was confirmed as a Supreme Court Justice on October 6, 2018, after a lengthy hearing that began September 4th.

Making the right decision is important whenever you are in high school and college. Actions can follow a person for the rest of their life. Going to parties in high school and college are very high on the list for students, but remaining aware and smart in a party environment could change one’s future. When under the influence there is a very good chance of something bad happening and not remembering anything the next day. My personal advice – have fun, but be to be smart. Your reputation is on the line.

Kavanaugh attended Georgetown Preparatory School, an elite Jesuit boarding school in Maryland. Along with writing for the school paper, Kavanaugh played defensive back for the football team and was named the captain of the basketball team for his senior year. He moved on to Yale University, where he pledged the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity and wrote for the school paper’s sports section, and then went on to Yale Law School, serving as Notes Editor of the Yale Law Journal, before earning his J.D. in 1990.