Allergic to Life

Back to Article
Back to Article

Allergic to Life

Olivia Czarniecki, Staff

Food sensitivities or allergies it’s not a rare occurrence for people to have in today’s world. There are more vegan restaurants popping up and restaurants are being more accommodating to those with food problems and it seems that people are becoming more aware of these issues. But what is it like living with a common food allergy? What about the people with severe life-threatening allergies, also known as anaphylaxis? What is eating out like for them and how cautious do they have to be in their day to day life? Students who struggle with these problems give insight into what it’s like living with this common struggle.

“My allergy to walnuts and avocados is usually easy to avoid but it is sometimes nerve racking when going to a new restaurant” senior Amy M. said, “Even my food touching or being around walnuts or avocados can send me into an allergic reaction.”

“I think the most annoying thing is people just think you are trying to be “healthy” by avoiding certain foods or that they don’t understand the extent of how bad an allergy can be. I don’t just carry around an EpiPen for fun” junior Kylie B. shares.

Although more restaurants are becoming more aware of food allergies it can still be an anxiety-filled situation like how senior Amy M. described when going anywhere to eat. Sometimes people aren’t aware of how severe and problematic just eating something could be a near-death experience or the next trip to the E.R.   

As extreme as that may sound according to F.A.R.E ( food allergy and research & education), up to 15 million Americans have food allergies, including 5.9 million children under age 18. That’s 1 in 13 children, or roughly two in every classroom and roughly around 3.6 million Americans carry an EpiPen with them. Overall it’s a very common struggle than what most people think.

“It can be annoying having to look at labels when shopping for groceries or finding stuff on menus that I can eat when I’m with friends or family but I don’t think my allergies limit me in an extreme way it’s just a way of life that I have to live by.” sophomore Mary S. explained.  

Its true people without allergies don’t have to think twice before taking a bite from a new burger they’ve ordered, reading food labels before buying, and looking up a menu before going out to eat. But to the life of a person with allergies, it’s just a normal everyday task to tackle.