Juniors Win Spirit Stick at the Winter Assembly

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mary-Grace McNutt, staff

Hyped and loud, with spirit stick up for grabs, the student sections were up to see which class could be the loudest. The Winter Wonderland assembly wasn’t just about the spirit stick, but to recognize the fall and winter sports. The assembly had been rescheduled for December 12th to replace the homecoming assembly since the gym floors were flooded in September. 

Assembly tickets were sold for $2.00 and the proceeds went to a fundraiser for a Westmoore family to purchase a wheelchair accessible van.

“I feel that fewer students went to the assembly than usually. I think that if we did an actual fundraiser then the family would get more money, than just the students who went to the assembly. If we didn’t sell tickets then more people would’ve gone to it but considering it happened to be for a good cause,”  junior Shaccid A. said.

A scavenger hunt started off the assembly and the sophomores won two of the three rounds. Then it happened to be the sophomore class chant and after that, there was the recognition for all sports. Then it happens to be time for the junior class chant. After that, began the cookie game where participants would eat a cookie, chug a glass of milk, and try to make a basketball shot the sophomores won that game also. After that game, it was time for the senior class chant and, after that it was time to do the announcing of the spirit stick. 

There were fun and games, and then there was the spirit winner announcement. But the points had been calculated the points wrong. At first, it was announced the seniors at fourth, the freshman at third, the sophomores at second, and the juniors at first, but when it was actually that freshman came last, then sophomores, then the seniors and at first was the juniors.

“My favorite part was that the juniors finally won after many years of trying. I also really liked it when we did the class chants,” junior Shaccid A. said.

There were some people that became really confused by the first placement of the first spirit stick.

I was honestly shocked. I couldn’t believe that we (the seniors) turned out as second because there wasn’t a lot of us there but I do believe that sophomores should have won it because they stayed really loud and everyone participated,” senior Brianne A. said.