Passion and Talent of DECA

Jenny Bui, Staff

Senior Nhi L. said, “I fell in love with DECA, formally known as Distributive Education Clubs of America, in my first year and decided I wanted to be more involved.”

Nhi has been in DECA since her junior year and joined through the Moore Norman Technology Center (MNTC) Entrepreneurship program.

DECA is a global student organization that prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in entrepreneurial and business fields from all over the world.

This love of the organization lead her to be elected as the State Vice President of Hospitality.

On February 13th, Nhi and her partner Madison K. competed in Business Growth Plan and placed first in the state of Oklahoma for their company called Real Kitchen Fresh Salsa. Nhi and Madison achieved their goal by working countless hours of practicing and having a 21-page business plan. They have continued their journey with their business plan to 2019 DECA International Career Development Conference (ICDC) in Orlando, FL with 23,000 other top DECA members.

“In order to qualify for DECA’s ICDC, you have to place top three within your state to compete at nationals. So, we were competing with the best of the best,” Nhi said.

Unfortunately, they did not get the iconic DECA glass trophy, but they did have a blast networking and making new friends along with Disney World and Universal Studios.

“DECA has astonishing energy that shows off passion and talent. I’m amazed that I have met so many high school members that have accomplished the unthinkable,” Nhi said. “I wish DECA still exist at Westmoore, I feel that DECA could change many students lives within our high school.”