College Decision Day – It’s A New Thing

High school seniors across the nation take their first steps into the life of a college student

Back to Article
Back to Article

College Decision Day – It’s A New Thing

Image belongs to CollegeBoard

Image belongs to CollegeBoard

Image belongs to CollegeBoard

Image belongs to CollegeBoard

Grace Seo, Staff

As college acceptance letters roll in during the months of March and April, the excitement continues into May 1st, when students across the nation declare their future “home.” Students have shared where they will continue their academic career on many different platforms of social media with pictures, videos, and many comments from friends and family. This year, over 22,000 posts on Instagram have been tagged with #nationaldecisionday with students all over the world sharing their excitement, wearing their school’s merchandise with pride.

Seniors at Westmoore have expressed their joy in committing to a university for the fall semester of 2019. They are taking over the nation by attending schools in all regions of the United States. Attending University of Pennsylvania next fall, senior Joy O. posted on Instagram how she “could not believe she’s going to an Ivy League.” Senior Anthony R. has also shared his anticipation of attending the University of Tennessee. “I’ve had such an awesome time and made some great memories, but I’m also ready and excited to move on to the next chapter of my life at the University of Tennessee,” Anthony said. Senior Celia G. shared her joy in finding her new “home for the next four years” at the University of Kentucky.

College National Decision Day has recently become a part of the admissions process. Universities have encouraged students to share a hashtag with the school’s abbreviation and graduating year, i.e. UPENN’23. The nervousness for seniors continues to flow through the last days of high school as seniors say their last goodbyes to teachers and friends.