Mr. and Miss WHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. and Miss WHS

Joy O. and Layne G. after winning Mr. and Miss. WHS

Karsyn Scruggs, Staff

While most schools crown the traditional king and queen at their prom, Westmoore seniors vote for the male and female who they believe deserves the title of Mr./Miss WHS. Students were first nominated by the faculty, then the senior class voted the week of April 22nd, and finally, the winner was announced at prom. This year, there were six candidates each. The nominees for Miss WHS were Rameen Z., Katy S., Madison B., Vanessa H., Abbey C., and Joy O., as well as Layne G., Conner A., Cameron A., Riley B., Anthony S., and Blake B. for Mr. WHS. Ultimately, the senior class could only pick one couple to be their Mr. and Miss.

Layne G. was voted Mr. WHS by his fellow seniors. Layne has been an offensive lineman for the varsity football team and is on the varsity track team. He will be playing football for the University of Central Oklahoma in the fall.

“It was an honor to just be nominated for Mr. WHS. Winning was especially surreal since because all of the other candidates are great guys,” Layne said.

Along with Layne, the seniors choose Joy O. as their Miss WHS. Throughout her high school years, Joy has been a football manager, a member of the Speech and Debate team, and an officer in Student Council. She was elected Student Council president for the 2019 school year. She will be continuing her education at the University of Pennsylvania.

“I was not expecting to win at all! It warms my heart to know that my peers think highly enough of me to give me that title. Senior year has been long and hard, so to end it on such a positive note was a sweet reminder of how much Westmoore means to me,” Joy said.

Being named Mr. and Miss WHS is an honor and the tradition will live on in the senior classes to come.