Johan Goes On

Back to Article
Back to Article

Johan Goes On

Bianca Briones, Staff

From the age of three to 17, junior Johan J. is an athlete with many awards for cross country, soccer, and running marathons.

“I started running in 7th grade and that’s when I ran my first marathon too,” said Johan. At 13 years old, he was the youngest person to run the full 26.2-mile Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon running alongside his dad and his uncle. “Running that marathon changed my aspect on how I run and my perspective on life.” Johan has continued to run cross country for high school level and this year he placed eighth at State with a time of 16:50:40.

Johan currently plays as a midfielder for WHS soccer and OKC Energy FC. “A coach asked me to play for their team after they watched me play for the South Lakes team, then I just joined the team.”

Him family consists of four kids that have all attended Westmoore and one of his sisters, Jasmine J., also has played for lady jags in class of 2014, who had a four-year letterwinner for coach Robert Williams’ and three-time All-Conference selection and signed to Northwestern University as a Midfielder.

He has started varsity for three years and has won Player of the Game for the years of 2017 and 2018. “I’m the last one of the family to go to Westmoore so I need to make a impact and leave my mark.” For this current season, he was able to make eleven goals including penalty kicks.