The Growth of WHS: The Annex

Moore Public Schools bought the once before, Westmoore Community Church, to add classroom space for the many students of Westmoore High School.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Growth of WHS: The Annex

This is a photo of the new annex at Westmoore High School.

Katherine Majors, Staff

Last school year, Moore Public Schools decided to add an addition to Westmoore High School. The annex allowed for extra classroom space. The annex was originally a part of the Westmoore Community Church (WCC), which decided to sell the church to Moore Public Schools. 

“Church leadership got with us early on and wanted to visit us with the purchase of the church. After having a lot of conversation with them, we had to look at the growth of Westmoore, students entering and exiting the building, and the concern of if we didn’t buy the property what type of business would come rebuild there. We felt that property would also work great for a college and career readiness center. Once the church relocates, the building in the entirety will be ours,” Moore Public Schools superintendent, Dr. Robert Romines said. 

The annex contains a total of ten classrooms and a commons area, including a variety of subjects, such as art, science, speech/debate, and more.  A few teachers have experienced change with the addition of the annex.

The Annex, like Westmoore High, is a great place to teach.  The facility is great, and the classroom is awesome for my content area,  fine arts teacher, Mr. Hall said.

I think having a quieter space is beneficial, always. Not having to combat crowded halls makes it better, too. I think the only detriment, which is being addressed by the school already, is the travel time. But I think that’s a given considering the size of our school,” speech and debate teacher, Mr. Elles said. 

Students have also experienced change, such as having first lunch all year if their fourth hour is in the annex.

“It’s cool because you are separated from everyone else and the classrooms are nice, but the only downside is that is that you only have five minutes and you have to walk back to the school,” a freshman from Westmoore mentioned. 

Overall, the growing Westmoore student population causes a need for additional classrooms.