Concurrent Enrollment: Yes or No?

Seniors at Westmoore High School offer their experiences of how participating in concurrent enrollment has impacted their lives. 

Megan, Staff Writer

Every year, students at Westmoore High School face the option of whether or not to do concurrent enrollment, creating indecision and uncertainty about how it could impact their lives. Seniors who have already experienced concurrent enrollment give their opinions on how it has affected their futures. Many seniors are enrolled concurrently or have at least considered it, making them a useful source of opinions. Each opinion, in favor or against, answers those questions rattling around in the heads of curious students.  

“Because the tuition is paid for, it’s saving my family a lot of money and I get to go into college with about a semester of classes already done. To get that far ahead and to have that much money saved is going to help my family out a lot, senior Ashlyn S. said on how concurrent enrollment has benefited her financially. This answers many questions students may have about how to afford a college class while in high school. It also is a good option to consider for students who are concerned about how many college classes they will be able to afford after they graduate.

On the other side of the debate, senior Cecilia P. explains why she decided not to do concurrent enrollment, “I think it is a good way to get credit for college, but I prefer taking classes at Westmoore because there is more of an opportunity to explore the different courses offered.”  Taking concurrent classes does limit what classes may be available to the student. If the student is an athlete they may not be able to take an afternoon class concurrently, this limits the selection of classes that a student can choose from at Westmoore and their concurrent school. This limitation keeps many students from being able to try out new classes or subjects before they graduate.

“It’s a really smart option and it’s a good opportunity to get college credit,” graduate Damaris J. said.

Every student has a different situation surrounding the decision of whether or not to do concurrent enrollment, and just because something may be beneficial for a situation for one student that doesn’t mean that it will aid the situation of another. For all of the students that may still be unsure about their situation; there is more information on financial aid, credit hours, and general help available in the counseling center.