Could You Be the Next Gaming Sensation?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Could You Be the Next Gaming Sensation?

Kyle Giersdorf, of Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, racked up the most points and won $3 million as the first Fortnite World Cup solo champion.

Epic Games

Epic Games

Epic Games

Callum Borden, Staff

In 2019, at the Fortnite World Cup, Kyle Giersdof won $3 million dollars by winning the tournament at only 16 years old. Fortnite is one of the biggest games in the world right now and is continuing to grow each and every day. It has generated billions of dollars which allows them to put on these substantial events while giving back to the players.

Kyle Giersdof, also known as his screen name “Bugha,” has just entered his junior year of high school. He scored 59 points (which compared to second place) is astronomical, as he scored 24 points less than Psalm. Players earned a point for each kill and ten points for every Victory Royale, while also taking points just for placing in the top twenty-five out of the hundred players.

This competition required an immense amount of practice and dedication just to enter. As even some of the most popular players didn’t even meet the requirements to get into the 2019 Fortnite World Cup.

“Everything I’ve done in the grind has all paid off and it’s just insane,” Giersdof said right after he took the grand prize in the solo competition.

One day while streaming Kyle suddenly disappeared. People waited in complete silence wondering what happened to Kyle. After around 10 minutes, he returned to the stream and confirmed he had been “swatted”– a common occurrence when someone falsely reports threat to a online streamer’s house. Though luckily the officers who entered his home knew his family and they were safe and sound.

While the swatting was a bad effect, Kyle Giersdof was determined to see his future in Fornite grow.