Trump’s Impeachment: what’s been happening and what’s next

a simplified update on the Trump impeachment and what's to come

Back to Article
Back to Article

Evan Vucci / AP

Evan Vucci / AP

Evan Vucci / AP

Kenny Kim, Editor

On December 18, 2019, the House Judiciary Committee made history by advancing two articles of impeachment (abuse of power and obstruction of Congress), making Donald Trump the third president to be impeached. Yet, many students and even adults are confused about what this means and what’s been going on.

Here’s the answer.

What’s Impeachment?

Impeachment is the start of the process to remove a high-ranking person from government office. The House of Representative brings up charges and votes on them, and then the Senate holds a trial. 

This came out after an anonymous whistleblower complained about a phone call Trump had with the Ukrainian president, saying it was inappropriate and accusing the White House of trying to cover it up. Trump allegedly held money from Ukraine until they investigated Hunter Biden’s involvement in a private Ukrainian gas company. It has been confirmed that the Trump administration withheld security funding but the White House gave conflicting reasons for holding back that money.

The Wrongs of a Quid Pro Quo

Quid Pro Quo means “something for something” in Latin. Democrats say asking the president of Ukraine to investigate the Bidens is pretty much like asking another country to interfere in our election. If Biden wins the Democratic nomination, he’d face off President Trump. A lot of polls predict Biden would win so an investigation into his family would hurt his campaign and potentially benefit Trump.

What’s Next in the Impeachment?

The senate has to hold a trial on those charges to remove Trump out of office. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R) has said to be coordinating with the president’s authorities while Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D) requested new witnesses for the trial, which got rejected. The president insists he has done nothing wrong.

Recently, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D) delayed naming impeachment managers who will make the democratic case in the trial, a decision criticized by McConnel and even some Senate Democrats. 

So whether or not President Donald Trump will be removed from office is something only time can tell.

last updated on 1/10/20

DISCLAIMER The views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of The Jagwire, Westmoore HS, or MPS.